Rev. Shines – Today’s Good News Vol. 4
Fulfill your soul and free with your mind with the latest installment of Today’s Good News, crafted specifically for Crate Diggers, in support of Crate Diggers Portland 2017. Inspired by records bought and people met from a recent trip around the world, Rev. Shines takes you on a journey of samples and discovery. This is an all-vinyl mixtape, using records found while on the road this past year.
Rev. Shines is a crate digger in its truest sense; Questlove once announced at a show in Portland, “Rev. Shines built my record collection.” Shines has performed in over 15 countries, is 1/3 of the Hip Hop group Lifesavas whom Rolling Stone Magazine touted as a “Top Band to Watch” in 2007, and DJs the most popular Hip Hop dance party in Portland, “Live and Direct”. His mixtape series, Today’s Good News has a cult following and sells out immediately online and at record stores like Turntable Lab.
While working at the Portland landmark record store, Jump Jump, Shines met and sold records to music legends like the aforementioned Questlove, J.Dilla, and Easy Mo Bee. Most importantly, he met the proverbial king of House music production, Kenny Dope, whom invited him on a world tour, DJ’ing and digging in countries like Japan and Australia.
What does Rev. Shines sound like? A decade crossing beat visionary, inspired by golden era Hip Hop, Southern Gospel singers, and funky Brasilians from the 1970’s. His dynamic live sets simultaneously put smiles on faces, get heads nodding, and suggest feelings of an ever-present coolness.
1. Black Fur – When We Get Together Soon (00:00)
2. Estiban – A Star In The Ghetto (03:02)
3. Irma Thomas – Hittin’ On Nothing (06:24)
5. Crowns of Glory – Ain’t No Sunshine (09:30)
6. 24-Carat Black – Poverty’s Paradise (12:08)
7. Tommy Butler – Prison Song (13:13)
8. Brenda Lee Eager – When I’m With You (14:09)
11. Invisible – Rudio De Magia (20:04)
12. The MBV & Mudies All Stars – Lorna’s Dance (Reggae) (20:53)
13. Ryo Kawasaki – Hawaiian Caravan (23:25)
14. The Dynamic Clark Sisters – Ha-Ya (Eternal Life) (24:51)
15. Cheyenne Fowler – Come Back To Me (26:47)
16. Opa – Brooklynville (29:33)
17. Zerosen – Cool Head (32:01)
18. Iron Office – Strunck (34:05)
19. Akira Ishikawa – Do It Til You’re Satisfied (35:36)
20. Gary Nieland – Album Tonight (38:33)
21. The Copeland Davis Group – Morning Spring (42:18)
22. Joe Harnell – See You Later (45:17)
23. The Friends Of Distinction – When A Little Love Began To Die (48:05)
24. Jade – Music Slave (51:36)
25. Biosis Now – Independent Bahamas (53:13)
26. Horace Silver – I’ve Had A Little Talk (59:19)
27. The Judy Roberts Band – Never Was Love (1:02:49)
Catch Rev. Shines spinning at the after party to Discogs sponsored record fair, Crate Diggers Portland, on August 26th, 2017 at White Owl Social Club. The day begins with the record fair featuring 30+ vendors and 6 of Portland’s best local DJs, then moves into the all-night after-party, featuring Soul Clap, Supreme La Rock, and Rev. Shines!