This year has brought its fair share of challenges. In January, we could not predict the global COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on small businesses. However, the data in the Discogs Mid-Year Marketplace Analysis and Database Highlights 2020 proves that music fans are resilient, active, and enthusiastic. Discogs has become an online haven for sellers and buyers across the consumer music economy.
Thanks to a thriving vinyl community, the first half of 2020 has been the best six-month period we’ve ever seen. Across the Marketplace and Database, our Community has rallied during this bizarre time in history. We’re excited to share the data we collected from the platform that reveals this year’s physical music sales so far.
Growth in global physical sales in the Marketplace is up 29.69% compared to the first half of 2019. With a 33.72% increase, vinyl sales have once again crossed a landmark milestone. To put that in perspective, this means that over 5.8 million records were sold between January and June. And what’s the best-selling record of 2020? Well, you’ll have to check below to find out:
If you’re a regular reader of Discogs’ data dives, then you’ll notice that we switched up the format a bit from 2019 (and 2018) to make this year’s report even more comprehensive and genre-inclusive. For each of the genres cataloged in the Database, we’ve included a breakdown of the best-selling, most expensive, most wanted, and most collected items. We’ve also stopped drawing strict comparisons between Discogs and Nielsen, the consumer reporting company, because it narrows the scope of what we can explore.
Highlights of the Discogs Mid-Year Report 2020:
- In the first half of 2020, Discogs shows an increase of 33.83% in sales and 18.77% in submissions over 2019.
- The most popular physical music format sold this year so has been vinyl, with a 33.72% increase in sales through the Marketplace year-over-year. However, CDs (+31.03%) and cassettes (+30.52%) experienced similar growth. Our peak occurred in May 2020 with 1.6 million items sold
- Nearly 800,000 releases were added to the Database between January and June; vinyl releases encompass 42% of all submissions with a total of 337,847. We saw an average yearly 30% increase in submissions every month since March 2020.
Glossary of Common Discogs Terms:
- Database: The heart of Discogs is our user-built Database, which is the most comprehensive archive of physical musical releases.
- Marketplace: The Discogs Marketplace connects buyers and sellers across the globe. Because the Marketplace is built on top of the Database, it is easy for sellers to list their inventory and buyers are able to specify the exact version they want.
- Community: Our Community is composed of contributors, sellers, and collectors. Anyone can contribute to the Database, sell in the Marketplace, and catalog their Collection.
- Genre: The genres included in the Discogs Mid-Year Report 2020 are defined by the Database.