Edit post function now admin settable on a per-forum basis

Teo has just changed the way the edit post function works. It is now settable by the forum admin on a per-forum basis, rather than on a per-thread basis as before. This removes the annoyance of having to set this option on every thread in forums where this functionality is used a lot. It replaces the per-thread switch.

Kevin will also be working on functionality to allow posts to be edited up until a reply is made, for cases where the poster sees a mistake too late. This will be a Discogs wide update, but won’t happen for a few weeks.

Return to Discogs Blog
25 Comments
  • Mar 8,2006 at 12:59

    Your insults are hollow reciprocation. Mine have substance. Allow me to demonstrate.

    I don’t see the relevance of your second link, Monky, but as this topic will be half culled whenever Nik sees it anyway, I’ll take this chance to gloat about being totally correct about forum moderators. Sycophantic little-Hitler fucktards like kreuztot were the death of the forums.

    Kreuztot, why did you come into a new forum and ban the funniest member? How small is your dick? Get your clueless girlfriend pregnant and vanish into the cesspool of mediocrity from whence you came. Man, that’s TWO bits of free advice. Funnily enough, I would now recommend you as an Electronic Music moderator, because the rules have firmed up, and you just loooove rules…

    Part of forum mod topic about jc808:

    [b]PatrickHH wrote:[/b]

    “you had enough chances to point out a better way” >
    correct. i’m blaming us all – me included (see above). my personal
    reason has been the lack of time and unimportance of the matter itself. i
    guess i simply understand his strange kind of humour in little better
    way.

    “then i think you missed some threads in that case.” >
    i for sure missed some threads out of the known reasons but i know
    james with his behaviour long enough. a lot longer than you do. so i don’t
    think it’s necessary to know them all.

    “yes, i sent the first warning, that’s it. don’t blame me for his
    behaviour.” >
    don’t think that this is the only reason. usually he’s picking at
    people for a reason and i don’t think that the 1st warning is the
    only reason. it’s maybe also your overeagerness when it comes to
    forum moderation that i sometimes see from your side too. i
    critizised monk’s behaviour a little while ago too and both of you
    are friends – no wonder, you seem to think/work the same way. you
    know, in the past months the forums have been calmer than ever.
    nothing compared to times, like for example 2 years ago, when forum
    moderation and you did not even exist on here. relax dudes and let
    james be the clown he wants to be.

    Posted one year ago. ( permalink | ignore user )

    [b]kreuztot wrote:[/b]

    [i] don’t think that this is the only reason[/i]

    it is.

    [i] it’s maybe also your overeagerness when it comes to forum
    moderation that i sometimes see from your side too[/i]

    you never adressed it, so please explain.

    Posted one year ago. ( permalink | ignore user )

    [b]PatrickHH wrote:[/b]

    “you never adressed it, so please explain.” >
    no i won’t. first of all i didn’t feel the need or importance so
    far. secondly i won’t take the time cos i think that the situation in
    the chat forum is far more important at the moment. i’m at that front
    right now – not you. and i guess you and i know why you’re not.

    Posted one year ago. ( permalink | ignore user )

    [b]simfonik wrote:[/b]

    my opinion is his ban should be lifted, we should probably also
    take votes on banning members going forward, so we can at least have
    a concensus and the ability to truly say that it was a group
    decision. i think that if great than 50% of the group who places a
    vote believes someone should be banned, then it is done.

    just a thought…

    Posted one year ago. ( permalink | ignore user )

    [b]PatrickHH wrote:[/b]

    thanks simfonik. it’s not ok that 1 fm is asking for banning and
    3h later nik answers “done”. what are we all here for? fair results
    only when having a group decision.

    Posted one year ago. ( permalink | ignore user )

    [b]simfonik wrote:[/b]

    are there any thoughts from you, nik or teo on bringing this to a
    vote for the FM’s?

    i think it would be a best practice to do it this way going
    forward as well.

    Posted one year ago. ( permalink | ignore user )

    [b]kreuztot wrote:[/b]

    pat, you’re bringing up several accusations and lies against me. james
    would be pleased with your true Kameradschaft.

    as for james, he was warned twice within five months. in both cases
    for trolling in the main forums. he didn’t change. he was trolling again
    and again since he was looking for trouble.
    aside from this his war against donnacha was completely out of place
    and no one deserves to be a target for such concentrated hate. therefore i
    still say he should be permanently banned.

    Posted one year ago. ( permalink | ignore user )

    [b]PatrickHH wrote:[/b]

    accusations – yes. lies – no. take this thread as an example: between
    february (time of his banning – btw kevin sent him the 2nd warning and
    made clear to him that he temporarily banned him and not you) and now.
    since then you were the only one complaining about him in here. you’re the
    only one asking for complete banning and nik does it quickstix without
    asking for opinions of o
    ther FMs. this should be a group decision (as discussed in here last
    october) and kevin or now maybe nik should be the performer. if this has
    changed for whatever reason then i’m not interested being part of this
    team anymore. btw i’m very astonished that nik did not even show up in
    here since he banned him. nik should know that this action will create
    trouble in the forums. out of r
    espect towards the FMs he should at least have a look in here to see
    what’s going on and if he can help as being the new community manager. if
    he did and saw my above doubts and didn’t say anything then it’s a very
    clear sign…

    Posted one year ago. ( permalink | ignore user )

    [b]PatrickHH wrote:[/b]

    “as for james, he was warned twice within five months. in both cases
    for trolling in the main forums. he didn’t change. he was trolling again
    and again since he was looking for trouble.
    aside from this his war against donnacha was completely out of place
    and no one deserves to be a target for such concentrated hate. therefore i
    still say he should be permanently banned.” >

    why don’t you go out in the forums and state that and make it look
    like a group decision, rico?

    Posted one year ago. ( permalink | ignore user )

    [b]kreuztot wrote:[/b]

    [i] rico didn’t react[/i]

    lie #1

    [i] obviously wanted to continue having his kindergarten with james
    or he didn’t wanted to ask for help from someone who would have
    possibly had a better influence on james[/i]

    lie #2

    [i] kevin sent him the 2nd warning[/i]

    i never claimed anything different, it was discussed in this
    thread here and finally teo sent the warning.

    [i] since then you were the only one complaining about him in here[/i]

    you’re wrong

    [i] this should be a group decision[/i]

    it should be, i the intention with my statement was to start the
    the decision-making process. i didn’t expect that nik will override
    the other FMs or misunderstood my post as final solution by the FMs.

    [i] out of respect towards the FMs he should at least have a look in
    here to see what’s going on[/i]

    i wrote him a mail and asked him to do so.

    Posted one year ago. ( permalink | ignore user )
    PatrickHH wrote:

    about “lie#1” > on march.11 i offered it to you to help you (see
    above) and you didn’t react. in the personal mail you sent me short
    afterwards you didn’t ask me too. otherwise i would have tried to
    calm it down.

    about “lie#2” > see above point. you should have asked me first
    before asking for banning – especially since i offered to you to help
    you in your tough position and to try calming it down. i think i made
    clear enough that i could have been (maybe the last) try.

    about the 2 threads behind “you’re wrong” > correct. saw them
    too. but banning him because of this usual kids stuff?!? c’mon – we
    are not talking about an unknown member here. we/some know him for
    years. there is a difference between a newbie (i.e. malaysia) and a
    ballbreaking oldskool ogger who did a lot for this database (maybe
    not in the past months but during his whole existence on here).

    “i didn’t expect that nik will override the other FMs” > that’s
    the point! this you should have said posts before after nik ended the
    story by far too early. too bad that you didn’t make this clear in
    the forums. not enough guts?

    “i wrote him a mail and asked him to do so.” > i didn’t do it cos
    i expect a community manager to be extra sensitive after making such
    decision that for sure will create trouble and that automatically
    brings FMs into a strange position.

    ———————————-

    rico, let our discussion end now. fact is that i disagree with
    james’ banning at this point and as a result i disagree with your
    opinion and with some of your actions in the past that imo could have
    been handled in a much more relaxed way. clear words from you out
    there wouldn’t have brought you into the position that you have right
    now (see my above link in this post). there is a reason why some FMs
    find more acceptance in the community even after tougher fm-actions.
    pls think about this.

    nik has been too hasty with this banning. he tried to be helpful
    but his action wasn’t at the right time. no matter if he unbans james
    or keeps it as it is – the community doesn’t accept his explanation.
    and if this whole scoop is the new state of the art on here (FMs
    won’t be properly consulted by the community manager before a banning
    will be fullfilled) then i’m not interested in being part of the FM
    team which was installed for different reasons and that agreed on
    kind of a democratic internal system to be kind of fair within the
    whole community.

    Posted one year ago. ( permalink | ignore user )

  • Mar 8,2006 at 12:39

    [i]Like Monk you’re obviously obsessed with me[/i]

    seeing this written by the mong who recently had an amok run to show my [i]napoleon-complex[/i] and who keeps on stalking me is really ridiculous. but as limitations in cognition are a symptom of your disorder you obviously fail to understand that.

    [i]David, what isn’t going to happen, mate?[/i]

    Plan A to F. or is it already at G?

  • Mar 8,2006 at 11:13

    David, what isn’t going to happen, mate? lol

  • Mar 8,2006 at 11:07

    You sound like Richard Whitely forcing joke words out of his face.

    Sorry. You sound like… [i]Richard[/i] [eh? yes my friends!] Whitely forcing joke words out of his… [i]face[/i] [goal!]

  • Mar 8,2006 at 10:57

    Hell, if you don’t have a conscience, ask [i]me[/i] and I’ll explain it by email with as little abuse of your cretinous, sociodynamically-blind, runty little hide as possible. Just honest advice, mate. :)

    Like Monk you’re obviously obsessed with me and some notion of ‘wittiness’ you’ve picked up in your exploration of English. ‘Witless’, by the way, means idiotic, not incapable of comedy. You’re both.

  • Mar 8,2006 at 10:53

    is there anything else you have to tell me [i]in public[/i]? let’s hope it will be a bit [i]wittier[/i].

  • Mar 8,2006 at 10:47

    It wasn’t hatemail. It was advice. Ask your conscience.

    I do hate you, obviously. You’re a humourless, low caste, inferiority complex twat. But I can tell you that in public.

  • Mar 8,2006 at 10:43

    i mean the last mail didn’t meet your [i][F]unny talking little Scottish wanker[/i]-standard not in the slightest.

  • Mar 8,2006 at 10:41

    hey 0x00, in case you’ll send me more hatemail please make them a bit [i]wittier[/i]. otherwise they just make you look like the retarded mong you are.

  • Mar 8,2006 at 10:39

    You’re clearly in love with me. Every time I check the official Discogs forums you’re talking about me. Literally EVERY time.

    What do you want from me, Martin? It isn’t going to happen. To be horribly blunt, I’m a little out of your league.

  • Mar 8,2006 at 10:04

    I just found by accident, but carry on.

    “Witchcraft.” Like you hacking into the discogs system, hacking as self-proclaimed admin into other peoples forums, deleting threads, editing peoples posts without a notice etc?

    [url=http://www.discogs.com/forums/topic?topic_id=47947]look what else i found[/url]

  • Mar 8,2006 at 06:32

    Venturing into an argument with any kind of working memory is flat out cheating, in my opinion. Who can fight and remember things at the same time? Witchcraft.

  • Mar 8,2006 at 05:57

    kind of pathetic to mentally inventory shit like that I suppose.

  • Mar 8,2006 at 05:54

    Not really, mayday. That cracking old topic was readable for two years by anyone who cared. Sorry Monk, I didn’t realise it was still a favourite of yours.

  • Mar 7,2006 at 23:30

    MONK wrote:
    “ok this IS abuse and even pretty lame”

    Lame? Thats strieght up creepy. The post starter reminds me of the evil guy in the movie Hitch.

  • Mar 7,2006 at 15:31

    he’s not long enough here to do such thing ;)

  • Mar 7,2006 at 15:21

    nice pacou style editing by 0x00

  • Mar 7,2006 at 04:38

    Great idea. Thanks

  • md
    Mar 7,2006 at 04:13

    What are you on about?

  • Mar 7,2006 at 04:02

    ok [url=http://www.discogs.com/forums/topic?topic_id=42144]this[/url] IS abuse and even pretty lame

  • Mar 7,2006 at 03:03

    ^^it’s [url=http://help.discogs.com/ticket/1339]not even possible[/url] for the mixes archive

  • Mar 6,2006 at 18:12

    Could we please set the Edit function to “on” in all the Moderator forums?

  • Mar 6,2006 at 18:04

    [b]No, it shouldn’t.[/b]

    agreed.

  • Mar 6,2006 at 18:04

    [b]It is now settable by the forum admin on a per-forum basis[/b]

    really good idea.

  • Mar 6,2006 at 11:21

    shouldn’t the setting be (Y) by default?

Leave A Reply