January has come and gone. What would have been an otherwise normal month was unfortunately met with the passing of Dolores O’Riordan, member of the band The Cranberries. This band has a particular etching in my memories associated to me being in kindergarten and also being babysat by my aunt, who had this tape in her car. Her unique voice defined a certain part of the 90’s for me, and I’m sure, many of you. In continuing my efforts to introduce you all to other music; Dark Side, Rumours, Thriller are great classics that again ranked well in the Discogs’ best selling records of January list, but also, take a moment to also check out these records because they are pretty darn cool:
- A collector friend of mine who’s really into soft upbeat pop doesn’t like that this record veers into psych territories, but that’s the reason I like it.
- Dramatically read stories set to solo cello. I haven’t fully delved into this one, but I really liked what I heard.
- I helped this artist’s father with their database submission and loved what I heard. Amazing outsider acoustic grunge/folk that totally rocks.
- That time Al Jarreau recorded a whole album’s worth of Bill Withers covers.
- I wholesale ignored this artist’s output for years, assuming they were more on the pop/rock end of things, but this album is truly something else.
However, though, who am I to question why you want the records you want? You do you! But maybe also check out some of this stuff and let me know if it works for you.